From: Frederick M. Spinner [mailto:fspinner@hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2001 11:27 AM
To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] FM operations in RS downlink

Actually, in my experience, 10-m FM DX is very rare.  So:

1. It isn't that much of a problem.
2. I'd probably still want to work the rare-DX even if he was in the
Sat's
passband, since it is rare to do so.
3. If 10m FM is propagating well, the ionosphere will reflect some, most
or
all of the RS-15 signals back into space.  Meaning that when the band is

open, sigs from the sat aren't as good.  A "self-healing" phoenomon, so
it
seems.
4. You won't have to worry about this in a couple of years when the
sunspot
cycle is low!  :-(

For the record:  I've never worked 10 FM.. so I'm not a 10 FM nut, but
it is
a unique mode, and I like different and unique modes!

I'll put on my asbestos suit, and say that in the 21st century HF
uplinks
and downlinks on a sat are a bit archaic, except for ionospheric and
atmospheric research..

Fred W0FMS

>From: Jim Walls <k6ccc@earthlink.net>
>To: "amsat-bb@amsat.org" <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
>Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] FM operations in RS downlink
>Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 21:22:13 -0800
>
>Rick Abbott wrote:
>
> > New to the list and new to birds. I was trying to receive the rs-15
> > beacon this morning when I heard FM stations working DX from OK and
HA