RE: Fan noise on FT-847

Jon Ogden wrote:

	If anyone thinks the Yaesu fan is loud, come and hear the Fan from my
	FT-1000D AND my 4-1000A amplifier.  The 847 fan is like a whisper compared to those two!

	Oh yeah, throw in the fans of the three computers in the shack too!

Wayne replies:

Before quieting my fans I occasionally resorted to using the active noise canceling on my Sony MDR-NC20 headphones.  I have also used these headphones to reduce droning generator noise during field day.  The headphones reduce low and mid-frequency noise by about 10 dB.  I highly recommend them if you have difficulty hearing in noisy environments.  They are not cheap, though.  I paid $108 at a duty-free shop in Tokyo.  In the U.S., Crutchfield mail-order sells them for $150

I originally bought mine for listening to music and movies on airplanes, but now I mostly use them in the hamshack with the noise canceling switched off.  The sound quality is excellent for both music and communications (the audio section in your radio must be free of low-frequency hum and high-frequency hiss).  These headphones have much more pleasant and articulate voice reproduction than my Heil ProSet.

http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer/ss5/office/accessories/noisecancelingheadphones/mdr-nc20_specs.shtml <http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer/ss5/office/accessories/noisecancelingheadphones/mdr-nc20_specs.shtml>

There are cheaper open-ear and in-ear models, but I can't comment on the sound quality or noise-canceling effectiveness of any other model.

Jon's setup may be so loud that he needs an active noise-canceling microphone!

Wayne Estes W9AE
Mundelein, IL, USA