Re: Thoughts on Kenwood TS-2000?

John Rice wrote:

> At 14:00 2/20/01 -0800, Doug wrote:
> >John Rice wrote:
> > >
> > > Repeaters are 'co-ordinated' specifically so as not to cause mutual
> > > interference
> > > or interference to existing activity. They operate within a recognized
> > > channel plan
> > > by widespread mutual consent.
> > >
> > > There's absolutely nothing that's going to prevent some die-hard DXer from
> > > dropping
> > > his 'Sky Command' toy's 2M output somewhere like 145.8xxx and there will be
> > > nothing
> > > anyone can do about it.
> > >
> > > This is not at all a good situation.
> > >

> >You must not be an NRA member John , that is a similar arguement that they
> >have
> >to put up with all the time, "don't blame the gun , blame the gun owner " they
> >say , so I must say don't blame the radio , blame the radio operator ....
>
> Uhhh, no I'm not. I don't disagree with that argument, though :-).

me either , I just couldn't come up with a better analogy at lunch today :^}

> >Oh thats right , people aren't responsible for their own actions any more ...
>
> Don't we see all too much of that attitude these days :-(.
>
> >I have had more troubles with uneducated packet/aprs operators trashing the 2
> >meter and 440 bands and throwing non-protected mobile radios on mountain tops
> >than most anything else , and funny , you don't see anyone wanting to make
> >that
> >illegal....
>
> Well, I wouldn't necessesarily argue to make that illegal, either, but I
> might argue that
> there should be some enforcable standards and regulations to cover it. If
> for no other
> reason than to set some guidelines for that kind of operation.

It is already in place , it is called "band plan useage guidlines" or something
to that effect and folks who actually read some of the amateur radio related
publications and talk to folks in the know will be able to figure out where they
can play with the latest wiz-bang mode that just popped out of your soundcard ,
a perfect example is the MFSK ( anybody heard the "doodle-doodle" on 14.080 ? )
mode , well it just so happens that the folks that decided to shanghi that
frequency didn't realize that the PSK folks already were using it and of course
less bandwidth , so possibly not being heard by the MFSK'ers , so I guess that
is turning into a can of worms , but if we act like civil humans and work it out
with dialog then hurrah , both parties will be happy , but such is not always
the case , but I guess that that is human nature that we are dealing with .....

yeccch , this is getting too philosophical for me at this late of an hour ;^}

> >Please don't flame , I just don't agree with your logic  , I for one would
> >wish
> >that something like sky command could be made "legal" , maybe if they had made
> >it output on 1.2GHz. , where no-one seems to operate anyway ( I am being
> >facitious ) .......
>
> Maybe I'm coming across the wrong way. I'm not directly opposed to 'remote
> base'
> type of operation at all, and under the rules it shouldn't be a problem
> (Those rules being
> everything above 220MHZ as I read them.) I just don't at all agree that 2M
> is the place
> to put the downlink'd audio.
>
> No flame intended <grin>.

Sorry John , I tend to get on the defensive too easily sometimes , stems from my
lack of self esteem , or so they tell me .....

I have a few buddies here in town that would just love to see more 222MHz
activity , but I doubt it will happen around here , we have a hard enough time
getting folks on UHF let alone something more obscure ......

> >I go now and crawl back in my bunker ;^)
>
> Me too :-).

Heh , heh , I try to keep all this stuff lite hearted , I just don't always pull
it off very well , email as a form of communication is soo imperfect that it is
almost inevitable that I end up peeing off someone in the process of sticking my
foot in my mouth , er I mean sending an email ;^)

73

--
Douglas Cole   N7BFS
AMSAT#26182 , K2 # 544