Re: FM operations in RS downlink

Rick Abbott wrote:

> New to the list and new to birds. I was trying to receive the rs-15
> beacon this morning when I heard FM stations working DX from OK and HA

> to US stations anywhere from 29.300 MHz up to 29.400! :-( don't these
> folks know it is a satellite downlink portion of 10M? I did hear what
> assume to be the CW beacon around 29.350 but with the qrm could not
copy
> the text.
>
> Enlighten me please,

One of the realities is that here in the US, FM is allowed on 10M only
above
29.300 MHz.  The segment about 29.500 is repeaters so that leaves the
only
simplex (other than the calling channel - 29.600) between 29.300 and
29.500.  And no, for the most part, they DONT know it's a satellite
downlink.  Even fewer users know that there is a satellite downlink on
10M
then know where the satellite up and downlinks are on 2M - and we know
how
many people we constantly chase off that band segment.

73
Jim Walls - K6CCC
k6ccc@amsat.org
http://home.earthlink.net/~k6ccc/