Re: Thoughts on Kenwood TS-2000?

At 14:00 2/20/01 -0800, Doug wrote:
>John Rice wrote:
> >
> > Repeaters are 'co-ordinated' specifically so as not to cause mutual
> > interference
> > or interference to existing activity. They operate within a recognized
> > channel plan
> > by widespread mutual consent.
> >
> > There's absolutely nothing that's going to prevent some die-hard DXer from
> > dropping
> > his 'Sky Command' toy's 2M output somewhere like 145.8xxx and there will be
> > nothing
> > anyone can do about it.
> >
> > This is not at all a good situation.
> >

>You must not be an NRA member John , that is a similar arguement that they
>have
>to put up with all the time, "don't blame the gun , blame the gun owner " they
>say , so I must say don't blame the radio , blame the radio operator ....

Uhhh, no I'm not. I don't disagree with that argument, though :-).

>Oh thats right , people aren't responsible for their own actions any more ...

Don't we see all too much of that attitude these days :-(.

>I have had more troubles with uneducated packet/aprs operators trashing the 2
>meter and 440 bands and throwing non-protected mobile radios on mountain tops
>than most anything else , and funny , you don't see anyone wanting to make
>that
>illegal....

Well, I wouldn't necessesarily argue to make that illegal, either, but I
might argue that
there should be some enforcable standards and regulations to cover it. If
for no other
reason than to set some guidelines for that kind of operation.

>Please don't flame , I just don't agree with your logic  , I for one would
>wish
>that something like sky command could be made "legal" , maybe if they had made
>it output on 1.2GHz. , where no-one seems to operate anyway ( I am being
>facitious ) .......

Maybe I'm coming across the wrong way. I'm not directly opposed to 'remote
base'
type of operation at all, and under the rules it shouldn't be a problem
(Those rules being
everything above 220MHZ as I read them.) I just don't at all agree that 2M
is the place
to put the downlink'd audio.

No flame intended <grin>.

>I go now and crawl back in my bunker ;^)

Me too :-).

>--
>Douglas Cole   N7BFS
>AMSAT#26182 , K2 # 544