Re: UO-14 on Field Day

Maggie wrote:

Contacts on the linear birds should definitely receive more points.
And the more people drawn by the additional points to developing the operating techniques for using the linear birds, the more of a skill pool we will have out there.

Wayne replies:

EXCELLENT idea.  Perhaps the AMSAT Field Day rules shouldn't give credit for FM contacts at all.  It would be easy to justify because of the limited capacity of FM satellites and the fact that the main event of the weekend is ARRL Field Day, not AMSAT Field Day.  FM satellites would be "reserved" for use by ARRL Field Day groups trying to make a single satellite contact for 100 ARRL FD bonus points.  The FM satellites would still be packed on Field Day, but with fewer alligators and little incentive to monopolize the channel.

I avoid FM satellites, so I don't know if this would help very much.  But it MIGHT enable more ARRL Field Day participants to have a positive "first experience" with amateur satellites.  That would be good for AMSAT in the long run.

Wayne Estes W9AE
Mundelein, IL, USA