Re: Thoughts on Kenwood TS-2000?

At 07:26 AM 2/20/01 -0900, you wrote:
>If I recall FCC regs correctly, repeaters must be under some kind of
>control: either direct or remote.  Remote control is to be >220 MHz.  The
>issue seems to be if the 2m audio is considered control traffic.  I leave
>it to the "repeater lawyers" to clarify ;-)
>
>Re:  Using your "70cm-2m-6m-HF" rig remotely, why not transvert the 2m
>audio to 1.2G?  You were going to get the 1.2G xvtr for satellite
>anyway...problem solved!  Oh, I guess you need a 70cm-23cm dual bander for
>control, but there are a few made now [usually as tri-band rigs].
>
>Now why Icom, Yaesu, and Kenwood all ignore the 222 MHz band in their new
>dc-->light rigs???  Could it be that the commercial divisions of those
>companies don't want to see any occupation of those frequencies by
>hams...could they have their eyes on them?  Hmm!
>
>Ed

More likely is that 222-225 isn't an easy band to combine with
6m/2m/440/1.2 .. I've done some figuring on what an antenna would have to
be like to have good SWR on all five of those bands, and the harmonic
relationship just isn't there -- you need approximately a 3:1 ratio in
frequency to make multibanding work easily, and 222-225 is just an oddball
band frequency-wise.  I would love to see a 5-band HT with all five of
those bands on it, but I suspect it ain't gonna happen ..

"Orthodoxy is orthodoxy because it won, not because it is true." -- Bp.
John Spong
 "Power takes as ingratitude the writhing of its victims." -- Rabindranath
Tagore
         Bruce Bostwick  mailto:lihan@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu