Re: Thoughts on Kenwood TS-2000?

K5OE@aol.com wrote:

> KE4AZN said you were around, but we never heard you.  Did you hear FO-20 die right in W0SAT's mid-sentence?

Yup. AZN called it on IRC, otherwise I would have thought I'd just lost it
again.

>  Were you on FO-29 or FO-20?

Both. I copied a bunch of W0SAT on 20, while jumping around looking for AZN.
Then I followed him over to 29. When he paused for me I did call, but had lost
my downlink somewhere along the way; I was off-freq. I'm still honing the skill
of tuning this stuff...and the added workload of manual antenna steering to a
LEO doesn't help. :-)

>Have you tried Tony's Insta-Tune?  I hear it works well with the 847.

Nope. I run Linux in the shack. I have under construction my own FT-847
controller program, written in Java, and what I've written so far works well. I
haven't written the sat tuning parts yet though...so far I just have a gadget
that scans a range of frequencies, plotting the S-meter readings. You can then
click on a peak and the radio tunes to that freq. The next step is adding the
logics to deal with sat mode dual VFOs, and make Doppler correction and tracking
easier. Also, the frequency database and logging end of things are yet to
happen. It's a lot of work, but when I'm done the result should run on any
Java-enabled platform, and an applet-based remote control shouldn't be very
difficult. It should be fairly easy to implement support for other radios
too...I've made that a design criterion from the outset.

I have to say I'm really disappointed in how limited the control is that you can
exercise over the FT-847 though the CAT port. It was clearly an
afterthought--the designers did not start out with the idea that the radio was
going to be computer-controlled from the very beginning.

 73 de Maggie K3XS