RE: Thoughts on Kenwood TS-2000?

Jon said:

> * 1.2 GHz capability.  Well, it's an add on.  And the 1.2 GHz is in the
> shack.  Coax is lossy at 1.2 GHz.  So you'll need a mast mounted amp and
> preamp anyhow.  With the 847, you just put an entire 1.2 GHz converter at
> the mast.

Very good point - and one which was nailed home for me at the weekend.
Finally became QRV on 23cm. FT-736 with 1.2GHz module, 10W out. 20 turn
helix. SSB electronics preamp at the mast. Receives very nicely at S7 to S9
a repeater 30 or so miles away.

Not even with my 72W monster amp in the shack can I get an acknowledgement.
I do have 180' of Westflex-103 (similar to 9913 in characteristics) to
contend with...

Next project: either install hardline or somehow get the amp further up the
mast.

73 Howard G6LVB