Re: qsl cards and awards

good question drew...

very easy, use a callbook and look up that person's grid and hand write it in
the upper right corner of the card in pencil. or, you can use street atlas, look
up the lat/long and then use a program to convert lat/long to grid square.

in either case, the grid you come up can be checked and reviewed by the
awards manager and/or the arrl to confirm that it is the correct grid. they can
look it up as well to confirm that you were correct.

this has happened many times to me and i have had to resort to looking them
up. it is much easier now as callbooks have that in them. but, note that the
grid square reported by a callbook is usually the grid square of the post office
where their license is issued. so it is possible that the station was not in that
grid square. in this case, you would have to use the grid square of the
callbook unless you could prove otherwise.

if it is a rare grid, when someone was portable, and the qsl card shows their
home grid or no grid at all, then i would have them issue you another card
with the grid square indicated.

hope this helps....

73...bruce
arrl awards manager vucc, was, 5bwas