pre-amps, etc

I've been following with great interest the thread about
using pre-amps and how not to blow them up.

With this in mind, I wonder if it is possible to come out of
the Drake 2880 at 144Mhz into a two meter converter with a
28Mhz output into a general coverage or even ham band
receiver.  This would eliminate accidental transmitting into
the pre-amp/downcoverter set-up for 2400Mhz.

I'm new to this frequency range (2400Mhz) so please forgive
the un-educated ramblings of a newbie:-)

                                    73, Joe W2KJ