Re: Preamp bypass circuit

"Margaret Leber (K3XS)" wrote:
> K5OE@aol.com wrote:
> > The FT-847 has a similar function (and also lacks VOX).
> It sure does, labelled "MOX" right under the power switch. Easy to
> accidently punch them both. Does anybody know what that is *for*?
> I've never really found a good use for it. Could it really just be
> so you could go walkabout in the shack during a long transmission?

MOX = Manually Operated Transmit

Any time you want to transmit without having to hold down the PTT
button, you simply push in the MOX button and let it latch.  Send
to your heart's content.  Push again to un-latch when done.  Good
for long-winded people, whether walking about the shack or sitting
on their, uh, let's be politically correct, CHAIRS.  Seems pretty
straightforward to me.

Other possible purposes:  1) you replace the microphone with one
that has better audio but no PTT button and don't want to bother
to wire one up  2) your microphone has a PTT but it's broken or
intermittent  3) you dislike the banging of relays while sending
CW and don't feel the need to hear other stations between your
dits and dahs  4) it's a conspiracy to blow up mast-mounted
preamps and transverters.  ;-)

I've pushed mine by accident only once, in spite of their close
proximity to one another, FWIW.  But YMMV.

John (KB0ZEV)