Re: Preamp bypass circuit

   Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 21:35:41 -0800
   From: Doug Braun NA1DB <na1db@yahoo.com>

   Even worse is the IC821.  It has a big "transmit" button on
   the front panel, right next to the power switch.  It is easy to hit
   by accident, and there is no way to disable it (without wire clippers
   or a soldering iron).

   Doug
   NA1DB

   At 07:26 PM 2/15/01 , Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 wrote:
   >This whole discussion is interesting.  I'd like to throw out my idea
   >for a facility that would make a lot of this simpler (I think).
   >Transceivers should have a "TX inhibit" input, so if it's held low, no
   >TX would take place.  I have 4 separate inputs on some of my rigs, any
   >of which can cause transmission.  Even in standard HF operation, being
   >able to leave the rig on in RX mode, and not worry about inadvertent
   >transmissions would be useful.
   >
   >73, doug

The IC-706 and 756PRO also have this switch, which just means a fifth
way of transmitting when you didn't mean to, and you're right it's not
easily disabled.  The idea is that the sequencer could hold TX inhibit
until everything else was ready for high-power, without being
concerned with disabling the key, mike PTT, ACC PTT, and any audio
inputs (if VOX is on).  Apparently this wasn't obvious.

73, doug