From: owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org]On
Behalf Of Jon Ogden
Sent: 15 February 2001 05:15
To: jnipper@southeast.net; Vince Fiscus, KB7ADL
Cc: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] $12,500. TO BURN

on 2/14/01 3:46 PM, James Nipper at jnipper@southeast.net wrote:

> Put $2500 on a nice system, and the rest for the college education of
> your kids.   You will be glad you did.  It is a better investment than
> just trying to find a place to "burn" it.

Perhaps he doesn't have kids or already has the money for them.

$2500 won't get that much of a station.  Let's see.  An FT-847 is $1400 and
a TS-2000 is $2100.  If we get the 847, that leaves is about $1100 to
purchase antennas, rotors and towers with let alone transverters for the
microwave bands.  And since AO-40 will likely be a microwave bird....

So we need antennas for V/U/L/S.  V and U cost about $600.  L and S say cost
$200 for both.  Now we need transverters.  An L-band transverter costs about
$400.

Uh-oh...we just crossed $2500 and we don't have a tower, rotors, cables,
coax or anything else yet.

I am not trying to be sarcastic, but trying to make a point that assembling
a full "super" satellite station is going to cost some money especially from
ground zero.  Now, you can scrounge and do it cheaper and get lucky in
finding steals and deals on stuff.  I'd say, you'd need a minimum of $3500
to $4000 to really get a "super" station with ALL the bells and whistles.

Those of us who have grown our stations over time don't realize how much
money we've actually put into them.  We purchase little chunks at a time
when we can afford them, but we never stop to think about how much we've
really invested.  I don't want to at least!  :-)

I'd say, give yourself about $5000 for the station.  Then AMSAT would
certainly appreciate a donation of $7500!  That way you'll help to build
both sides of the satellite equipment!

73,

Jon
NA9D