Re: Preamp bypass circuit

This has been an often discussed subject on the EME list group.  The FT847
is notorious for killing preamps if not sequenced properly.  Keying the Mic
will send RF up to the preamp if not sequenced properly.

The most common approach has been to modify the rig and split the RX/TX
lines internally.  With this modification, there is no possiblity of
transmitting into the preamp but you will need a line for both RX and TX  to
the antenna.  There are sites on the internet with descriptions and pictures
of this modification.

I use the DEM sequencer and have not split the lines internally.  The only
probelm is that keying the Mic or the keyer will still send RF into the
preamp.  I do not use the radio for SSB on EME so I simply put a switch on
the Mic line that is turned off most of the time.  I installed a line with a
relay to the keyer and the DEM sequencer is "keyed" with a footswtich.
Therefore, if I accidently bump the keyer it will not key the rig unless I
have pushed down the foot pedal to activate the sequencer first.  I have not
blown the preamp running this system with 1500 watts.  This same type of
relay line could be run to the Mic PTT line as well so that the  Mic can not
key the rig unless the preamp is first turned off by the sequencer through a
footswitch.

Scott

Scott Olitsky
AC3A