Re: Mode-S Antennas

I guess maybe it's time to chime in about the possibility of using surplus
Qualcomm materials to build a 2,4 GHz down converter. I've been holding off
as it seemed that the Drake units were an easy way to go and our San Diego
Microwave Group  materials distribution person (Chuck WB6IGP) is kind of
out of commission right now. Since the discussion has come around to LOs
and LNAs for home brew converters, those with an interest might want to
take a look at the SBMS website at :http://www.ham-radio.com/sbms/sd/.   We
have surplus Qualcomm synthesizers and 10 MHz TCXOs that make putting
together a 2256 MHz LO (for 144 IF)  a one evening project.  We  have a
"Round " board
that conatins a small 2.5 GHz LNA that can be modified for 2.4 GHz by using
a different filter.  We also have surface mount mixers that will work at
2.4 Gz as well. I haven't put together a  2.4 converter with all of these
particular  components but probably should do it & write up a description.
If there's interest I'll see whah I can do to support distribution of the
material in the near term.
 - Kerry N6IZW