Re: Mode-S Antennas

Essentially, its already been done (sort of).  Instead of modifying a
Drake with a MGA86576 and Toko Dielectric filter, build a converter
with one it to start with.  Receive converters are simple:
LNA (MGA86576), Filter (Toko Dielectric), Mixer (Mini-Circuits if you
wish) and LO.  Ok the Local Oscillator is the hardest part.  You
could use either a clean low phase noise PLL or crystal multiplier
chain.
Several years ago, when I first saw that Digikey started carrying the
Toko Dielectric Filters for 2450 MHz, I thought ...oooh great for
making a S band downconverter.  Then I received my Amsat Journal and
G0MRF had published a design using one!
You can find a copy of his design on his website at:
http://www.g0mrf.freeserve.co.uk/sat.htm
You can even buy the entire kit from him including box for a really good price!
No, I don't have one...I just though that it was a cool design when I
first read it in the Amsat Journal.

73 de W0UHF,
Dan