Re: Mode S Ant.

> I am using the Phillips SPG-36 antenna, with a Parabolic AB downconverter.
>
>  Heard AO-40 from MA=6 to MA=55 this morning (02-10-2001).

That's an impressive combination!  I believe that is a 24 dBi rated antenna,
so it speaks well of the Parabolic AB gear.  I rarely hear it out past about
MA=36.  I can hear it almost like a whisper sometimes out to MA=45, but
certainly nothing you could ever decode.

When listening to it yesterday, it seemed to cut off a few times around MA=6
to 12, and in scanning around I heard some other tones that were not familiar
nearby.  Does the beacon shut off when being commanded by the control ops?

73,
Jerry, K5OE