Re: True North

Scott Olitsky wrote:

I find an easy and very accurate method is to use a tracking program to find
the exact time the sun will be at a specific azimuth, look for the shadow of
the mast...this will be 180 degrees opposite the sun position. Now turn the
yagi so that its shadow is aligned with the shadow for the mast.  This
should be accurate to within a few degrees.  For those with 2 yagis, elevate
them to 90 degrees and line up all 3 shadows so that they are perfectly
parallel.

Wayne replies:

You lost me on the last statement.  If the two Yagis are at 90 degrees
elevation their booms will be parallel to the mast, and the 3 shadows of the
Yagis and mast will be parallel regardless of the azimuth of the rotor.  The
spacing between the 3 parallel shadows will change as the azimuth is
changed, but the shadows will remain parallel.

Did you intend to suggest putting the Yagis at 0 degrees elevation?  Then
the Yagi shadows would be parallel with the mast shadow when the Yagi
azimuth matches the sun's azimuth.

Wayne Estes W9AE
Mundelein, IL, USA