Re: Re: D68C

Date sent:      	Fri, 09 Feb 2001 08:30:34 -0500
From:           	"Margaret Leber (K3XS)" <maggie@voicenet.com>
Send reply to:  	maggie@voicenet.com
To:             	Howard Long <howard@howardlong.com>
Copies to:      	kk5do@AMSAT.Org, amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject:        	Re: [amsat-bb] Re: D68C

> Howard Long wrote:
>
> > In future I could see it as a way to increase the number of folks getting a
> > chance - maybe even performing a net controller style operation on IRC whilst
> > the actual exchanges occur on the bird.
> >
> > Of course, I'm sure some might see use of IRC in this way as cheating... any
> > comments?
>
> This is definately a discussion that needs to happen

personally, i do not see the irc as a way to cheat. i use the dx cluster to know
when a station is on that i need. i would use the irc similarily.

where it could benefit us. is if someone took a list (just like the 247 dx group
and the butterfly net). they would then ask each of the guys/gals what is the
latest they could work the dx station (based on their los due to trees,
buildings and actually satellite).

the irc control could then tell each person to go in turn and even if they could
not hear the dx station on the satellite, after that person worked the dx, would
say on the irc that he is done and the next person could go.

this sure could maximize contacts on a rare dx station. also, this is not a
contest, therefore, if it took you 5 minutes to complete your contact, you are
not penalized.

i can still remember a couple dx stations back in the days of ao13. i got on,
heard them and sat back. there were about 12 people all calling for him with
the hf dx frenzy. after he picked out stations and finally got to the end, i called
him. there was no one else around and i had a nice 10 minute qso with him.

those 12 people could have each just waited and if done one at a time, would
have been done and had a completed qso in about 3-4 minutes. but with all
the calling over each other, it took about 10 minutes to complete. on ao10
right now, we simply don't have that much time due to all the fading.
everything has to work like clock work or there will be some spilt milk and sad
faces.

everyone knows what their call is, but they will not know us. as the irc net
would only be one way, the dx station still must come back and recognize the
person calling them. this in no way is cheating. we would only be standing in
a line waiting for our turn to call him.

just my opinions. i really don't want to get up at 3 or 4 in the morning (here in
houston) to try and work them but i will have to. did enough chasing of the
shuttle and other dx over the years to know that its no fun to interupt your
sleep.

73...bruce

Houston, Texas
AMSAT Area Coordinator
Houston AMSAT Net - Tuesday, 8PM CDT on W0KIE Satcom C3, T24, 7.5Mhz