RE: Re: D68C

FWIW

I found IRC very helpful an my recent little jaunt. Of course this was
nothing like the D68C operation! I don't believe I would have made any more
or any less QSOs without IRC, but it sure was nice to know I wasn't on my
own - far from it!

I used a 9600bps GSM cellular connection for IRC without any problem at
all - IRC's really low bandwidth.

Three out of the four exchanges I made were with stations _not_ on IRC. I
must have heard at least two dozen stations.

As the bird was continually fading in and out, I suddenly got QRM on the
designated frequency, and IRC allowed a QSY down 5kc/s to be made during a
fade. Also allowed me to rest the antenna pointing arm during a fade, and
check the satellite bearings again - as soon as AO-10 came out of a fade
someone on the IRC would send a message.

In future I could see it as a way to increase the number of folks getting a
chance - maybe even performing a net controller style operation on IRC
whilst the actual exchanges occur on the bird.

Of course, I'm sure some might see use of IRC in this way as cheating... any
comments?

73 Howard G6LVB