Re: Drake 2880 Unit - Rattle

Greg, Gang

> Opened it up and found the aluminum shield in place (screwed in place) over
> the input and output stages,

In my unit thats not aluminum - its metallized plastic.

> BUT found 2 pieces of alumunium loose.  One is solid square ( 1" x 3/4" )
> and the other piece of
> metal is the same size and the shield ... but with one hole ( 3/16") and
> four smaller holes (less than 1/16").

The larger of the loose pieces goes on top of the screwed-down shield. The
smaller piece goes underneath the large loose piece (between it and the
screwed-down shield), roughly in the middle. I think these pieces are meant
to put the screwed-down shield in contact with the lid once its in place
(the smaller piece just being for packing purposes, thats why the large piece
is corrugated or dimpled).

If it still rattles with the pieces in that position and the lid screwed on
tight, I'd suggest some extra packing (aluminum or kitchen foil folded into
a small square) until it doesn't rattle any more. Or punch the dimples to
make them deeper; they'll compress down when you tighten the lid.

73
Richard W L Limebear G3RWL
g3rwl@amsat.org
FOC # 1188