Re: Weather proofing preamps at antenna feed points

on 2/8/01 1:55 AM, Howard Long at howard@howardlong.com wrote:

> Hello
>
> I'd appreciate anyone's experiences on weather proofing preamps at antenna
> feedpoints on Az-El rotators.

When I built my V/U preamp box (I gotta scan my photo and send it to K5OE
for this website!), none of my preamps were outdoor rated.  I found at my
local hamfest a WX proof outdoor box.  You can find these (at least in the
US) farily easily on the surplus market.  Any kind of plastic box that once
held a meter or other electrical equipment will work.  Just make sure that
it has a rubber seal around it and that mounting screws on either side
(inside or outside) don't go all the way through w/o some sort of seals as
well (my box had little plastic covers that sealed out the screws running to
the outside for mounting.

Last month I found an AWESOME outdoor box for all my microwave stuff.  I'll
have to get some pictures of that one too.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden