Re: What happened to AO-40?/ NO news is BAD news !!!!

Here you go, -
AMSAT NEWS SERVICE
ANS 035

ANS is a free, weekly, news and information service of AMSAT North
America, the Radio Amateur Satellite Corporation. ANS reports on the
activities of a worldwide group of Amateur Radio operators who share an
active interest in designing, building, launching and communicating
through analog and digital Amateur Radio satellites.

ANS is first released via the AMSAT-NA 20-meter net held each Sunday
on 14.282 MHz. Pre-net operations start at 18:00 UTC, with current ANS
bulletins transmitted to the eastern U.S. at 19:00 UTC and to the western
U.S. at 19:30 UTC. ANS is also released worldwide via the AMSAT ANS
e-mail reflector.

AMSAT-NA is pleased to announce that recent and future development
in Amateur Radio satellites will take place in Atlanta, Georgia at the
19th Space Symposium and AMSAT-NA Annual Meeting, October 5-6,
2001.   The Symposium Chairman is Steve Diggs, W4EPI.

Contact W4EPI at:          w4epi@amsat.org

Information on AMSAT-NA is available at the following URL:

http://www.amsat.org (or from)

AMSAT-NA
850 Sligo Avenue, Suite 600
Silver Spring, Maryland
20910-4703

Voice: 301-589-6062
FAX: 301-608-3410

Currently, AMSAT-NA supports the following (free) mailing lists:

* AMSAT News Service (ANS)
* General satellite discussion (AMSAT-BB)
* Orbit data (KEPS)
* Manned space missions (SAREX)
* District of Columbia area (AMSAT-DC)
* New England area (AMSAT-NE)
* AMSAT Educational Liaison mailing list (AMSAT-EDU)
* AMSAT K-12 Educational Liaison mailing list (AMSAT-K12)

A daily digest version is available for each list.

To subscribe, or for more list information, visit the following URL:

http://www.amsat.org/amsat/listserv/menu.html

This edition of ANS is dedicated to the memory of  Lew Tepfer, W6FVV,
of Weed, California, who died recently as the result of an auto accident.
He was 79. W6FVV spent 20-years as the head of the International
Visual Communication Association and was well-known in the Amateur
Radio Slow Scan TV community.
[ANS thanks the ARRL for this information]

ANS is always dedicated to the memory of past ANS editor 'BJ' Arts,
WT0N, and to the memory of long-time AMSAT supporter Werner
Haas, DJ5KQ.

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-035.01
PHASE 3D/AO-40 UPDATE

AMSAT NEWS SERVICE BULLETIN 035.01 FROM AMSAT HQ
SILVER SPRING, MD, FEBRUARY 04, 2001
TO ALL RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-035.01

The month of February begins with command stations continuing their
on-going recovery efforts of AMSAT OSCAR 40.

The AMSAT-DL web site is currently featuring the following statement:

AO-40 is currently like a ship on a sandbank at low-tide and in the fog.
In the fog because of the high solar-angle (maximum of 77 degrees)
where the onboard sun sensor(s) temporarily cannot see. At low-tide
because the increasing solar-angle leads to less illumination (minimum
of 23 percent) - thus less energy is produced. AO-40 is stuck on a
sandbank because the satellite cannot be maneuvered out of this
situation very easily. The 'de-spinning' software routine may help. This
program should work without sun sensor data and will use on-going
measurements from the solar panels as an attitude indicator. Intensive
work on this software is currently taking place.

Even if this routine doesn't work immediately, there is no reason to
panic. The 'fog and low-tide' orbit will disappear with further seasonal
Sun movements around the spacecraft. By April the sensors will see the
Sun again and active attitude control can be restarted. After lowering
the current spin rate, improving the Sun angle and repositioning AO-40's
antennas, all further tests can be done.

Command stations G3RUH and W4SM have completed a long-term
prediction of AO-40's new orbit. Even after last year's accident and the
resulting decrease of perigee - AO-40's orbit will be fairly stable through
this period.

ALON/ALAT is currently 248/-7, as last listed on the AMSAT-DL
web page.

The AO-40 element set (number 30) is as follows:

Satellite:              AO-40
Catalog number:         26609
Epoch time:             01027.28372779
Inclination:            5.8370 degrees
RA of node:             227.6036 degrees
Eccentricity:           0.8132970
Arg of perigee:         212.6216 degrees
Mean anomaly:           48.4646 degrees
Mean motion:            1.26933309 rev/day
Decay rate:             -7.0e-07 rev/day^2
Epoch rev:              111
Checksum:               274

Stay tuned to AMSAT News Service, the official source of AO-40 news
and information.

[ANS thanks AMSAT-DL and AMSAT-NA for this information]

73 Jens    ZL2TJT

p.s. I don't believe in the mushroom conspiracy theory, (for the sake of
decent language, I can't discuss that theory here).