RE: SUNSAT reported dead

The dual frequency was actual two independent Mode J transponders operating
simultaneously.  Unfortunately, problems with Mode J in general (lack of Rx
sensitivity) were made much worse (10 - 20dB worse) by this configuration,
so it was never used in general operation.  The idea was to provide an extra
channel for more voice QSOs during a pass.

By the time SO-35 went back to Mode B, the idea was forgotten...

Tony Langdon.
Systems Development and Support.