Re: 1.2ghz uplink

>From: "John Stephensen, KD6OZH" <kd6ozh@gte.net>
>AMSAT has said in the past that both 70 cm and 23 cm uplinks would be
>supported with a 13 cm downlink on some schedule to be worked out after
>commissioning. However, all discussions of the 3 cm downlink have assumed a
>23 cm uplink.
>
>John
>KD6OZH

John, I have not seen this discussion about the 3 cm downlink, but it would
not surprize me.  I do note in Amsat publications addressing the mix of
modes to be used on AO-40, that they expect that 6 cm, 3cm, and 1.4 cm were
to be modes used mostly by microwave experimenters and not the main
satellite operator.  Therefore, they may reason that such people would
already participate in mode-LS in most cases.  However, if the 70cm analog
uplink is usable, I would expect to see mode-UX supported somewhat.

Hassan, the use of mode-US is certainly a natural one for the mainstay
mode-UV satellite operator, considering most would have commericial
satellite radios operable on 2m and 70cm.  In that regard there is nothing
wrong with this approach.  Of course we still need to find out if 70cm
uplink will be usable.  At this point I have little expectation that 2m
will be used at all.

As far as your question why invest in 1.2 GHz, it is looking like this may
become, by the demise of the 2m and 70cm xmtrs, the prime mode for AO-40.
Two meters is rapidly deteriorating as a usable band in some parts of the
world, and 70cm is not allocated in others.  Clearly, Amsat is promoting
mode LS.  In the end its your decision.

Finally, I was not excluding other modes.  I was merely replying to Bob's
request [below] for info on getting on 23 cm.  BTW these are just my
observations and predictions.  I have no influence with the command group.

73, Ed
50-144-432-1.2G-2.4G-10.4G...and maybe 24G