RE: Fade remover

At 05:50 PM 2/2/2001, Richard M. Hambly wrote:
>Unfortunately the CDP1802 CPU with 64k bytes ECC RAM running at 100K
>instructions/s in IHU-1 doesn't have the resources to handle the FEC
>and/or interleaving tasks.  It was a deliberate decision to stick with
>the tried and true technology for IHU-1.

If you begin with the notion that you can never change anything, then by
definition, you can never improve.  No technology would exist if everyone
followed this sort of logic, so its a darn good thing that they don't.

ENCODING an error-correcting code doesn't take much CPU.  It can be very
simple.  The principles have been known about 30 years now.  Fear of
error-correcting codes is irrational.

The following courtesy of Merriam Webster:

Ludd·ite
Function: noun
Etymology: perhaps from Ned Ludd, 18th century Leicestershire workman who
destroyed machinery
Date: 1811
: one of a group of early 19th century English workmen destroying
laborsaving machinery as a protest; broadly : one who is opposed to
especially technological change
- Luddite adjective

Having said that, I do recognize the value of keeping the basic IHU very
simple.  I think it is reasonable to argue that the situation we're in is a
multiple failure at this point (omni antennas out of service, and
difficulty controlling attitude), and such multiple failures were
reasonably not considered during design.  To be clear, I'm not angry with
the decisions that were made.

However arguing that a better link design couldn't be done is wrong.  Can
be done with very simple 30-year-old coding technology.