Re: LEO's and their ilk

I seriously doubt it.  Remember (and I WON'T forget this) that power falls
off by a factor of the square of the distance.

My AM car radio doesn't blow out when I drive right by a 50 KW transmitter.
Why would a satellite be hurt by a transmitter 800 miles away?

Also, if you are pointing at 45 degrees (approx) to connect to a geo-synch
satellite, you will still be in the path of LEOs at certain times won't you?

73,

Jon
NA9D

on 1/31/01 5:10 AM, John / NS1Z at ns1z@arrl.net wrote:

> Sorry this if off (offensive language) topic but an issue came up at work
> the other day that made me wonder.
>
> We installed some MCL Ku transmitters and, because of their performance
> history, decided to burn them in before putting traffic on them. One
> transmitter is in the dummy load and the other is radiating on the antenna
> (7 meter).
>
> I dropped the dish to about 7.5 degrees el and 90 degrees az. This points
> the dish away from the GEO sats but what about the LEOs? I guess that they
> are generally all in the 7-800 mile elevation range?
>
> My question: one of my co-workers was adamant that radiating at this angle
> would cause damage to any LEO out there in the path. My thinking is that
> they use directive antennas and would be pointing towards the earth. The
> coverage would be small due to elevation, unlike the GEOs who cover about
> 1/3 the globe at a time (potentially). Even they are running mostly spot or
> hemi beams now to allow spectrum re-use. I think the possibility of
> interference is extemely remote.
>
> Additionaly, do they use Ku band or C or ?????? Because I am so stubborn I
> am looking for facts to either support true wisdom (myself, of course) or
> otherwise.
>
> Anyone have ideas?
>
> John Wilcox  NS1Z
> 871 Route 120