Re: Re: Drake 2880 power

I'd recommend a good stable low-noise amp, like a MAR-6 for that
application.  About $2.00 last time I've checked.  My only concern is about
the comments on the mod pages about excessive gain out of the Drake.  So
maybe a 20 db pad (just resistors-- nothing fancy) and a MAR-6 is more
appropriate of a solution.

MMIC circuits typically consist of two coupling caps, a bias resistor, and a
RFC to supply power to the MMIC.  So in parts, with an "injector" you're
looking at about $10-$15 plus the box to put it in.

Now I'm still thinking an un-recrystaled Drake at 120 MHz mixed with
a 70MHZ computer clock osc = a 50 MHz IF is a good idea, particularly for
those of us with FT-847s..  The mixer circuit could have a MMIC after the
mixer for similiar TX protection.

Fred W0FMS