Re: new sat

VEFRH@aol.com wrote:

> Hello Guy,
> I am always interested in new proposals, perhaps you could give me some of
> your reasoning on this proposal then I can pass it to out project committee
> who are currently considering all proposals.
> For example:

> 1) Why an "average" altitude of 10,000 miles (16,000 Kms). This is way above
> the Low Earth Orbits and way below the larger elliptical orbits. Do you have
> any special reason for 10,000 Miles?

from watching AO-10 at that altitude it covers from the arctic to antarctic,
with three to four birds at this altitude it would give very good coverage with
small amounts of dead time. Without the cost and complexity of a GEO/Molniya
sat.

> 2) If it is to be in an equatorial orbit then it must be equally above and
> below the equator during it's complete orbit i.e. 5 degrees plus and minus.

A 0 degree orbit is fine I was thinking about less power having to be used for
NA but still have coverage in SA.

> 3) Good point on the microsat structure- this is what is currently under
> consideration.

As another kind person has written that frame may not be suitable for that high
of an altitude, but what if it was made longer or the 5 tray was not used for
electronics but for a arc jet ???

> 4) 435 up and 2.4 down is good (as in AO-13) but so is 1.2 Ghz up and down
> why not both? We can do much better than 5 to 10 watts, probably 25 to 50
> watts.

That could be the second transponders (L/S) could they run at the same time ????

> 5) OK on the gain, we may be able to do better, dependent on the
> configuration of the antennas and the space on the launcher,

Yes I agree but I didn't want to push it past my understanding of gain and
antenna patterns

> 6) Yes, - high efficiency solar cells are a must.

Need a positive power budget to run both transponders and subsystems which
require the most efficiency and long term.

> 7) the type of attitude stabilization depends very much on a whole range of
> parameters including orbit and cost!

Just scratching the surface with understanding of this, someone with a brain
will have to handle that ha/ha

> 8) Any ideas on funding?

Yes lots of hard hard and long hours of trying all kinds of new ways to pay for
it....

I don't understand most of what makes a bird work but I do enjoy using them and
the more I do the I want to help but most of all I would like to be able to at
almost any time pick up the mic and talk through a sat. With this said I believe
its time for me to try and get something going.

I believe that more lower tech birds and an altitude that gives the best
coverage are the way to go, but I also believe that birds like AO-40 are very
good for the amateur community to push our skills both as users and builders.
But the cost of a bird like that is to much to put up more then one ( I could be
wrong).

I think that their is room for both kind of birds....