Re: ICOM 211

----- Original Message -----
From: Don DeGregori <don1mh@loop.com>
To: <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Sent: Saturday, January 27, 2001 10:20 AM
Subject: [amsat-bb] ICOM 211

> Has anyone used the ICOM 211 (2 meters/all mode) as a satellite
> receiver? I know it is not the latest and greatest, but have the
> opprotunity to obtain one. I think in it's day it was considered top
> notch, and sold for $850. Any input appreciated.

I used the IC-211 as my first 2m satellite rig and it's an excellent
transceiver.  I used it for both uplink on Mode A (aka Mode VH) and downlink
on Mode B (aka Mode UV).  It has a built-in power supply, so you can run it
from either 115 VAC or 12 VDC.  For basic transmitting and receiving it's
definitely a top notch radio, but understand that it doesn't have any modern
bells and whistles.  It has 2 VFOs that will retain the memory only while
the rig is hooked up to power.

I think I paid $275 for mine and it was in essentially perfect condition for
a rig of its age.  The only reason I sold it was because I bought a modern
computer-controlled VHF/UHF all-mode satellite transceiver.

73, Ken N2WWD