Re: elevation screw jack

Another approach, one I'm using in the elevation controller for the EME
array at W6OAL, is to do a calibration run and program a formula into the
micro controller that relates pulses to degrees.  The process is:
- Attach a protractor and weighted string to the antenna boom or other part
that is aligned with the antenna beam.
- Elevate the antenna stopping every 5 degrees and recording the elevation
in degrees and the number of pulses from zero elevation.
- When done run that table through a curve fit program like CurveExpert and
determine the formula that fits the points.
- Program that formula into the micro controller.

The formula will depend on the geometry of the pole or tower, actuator, and
antenna.  I expect for the OAL array it will be a 2nd order quadratic -
quite simple to program.  Even if it turns out to be a COS or ACOS function
it is a single line of C code.  The critical values are stored in EEPROM so
they aren't lost when the power is turned off.  Nothing is needed at the
antenna other than the actuator.

Jim
wd0e@amsat.org