RE: Help measure AO-40 spin rate

The method I use is the "Doppler wobbling" method, that needs a PC + sound
card + FFT software
(CoolEdit or Spectrogram, for example).

1) record an audio sample on the hard drive

2) run a frequency vs time analysis and play with zoom, FFT size, etc to get
a nice readable sine Doppler curve picture

4) measure the time elapsed between as much as peaks you can and divide it
by the number of peaks, just to improve the measurement accuracy.

(JPG picture available on request).

Please note that you can also estimate the satellite squint angle by using a
simple formula:

squint angle = arcsin [ max possible Doppler variation/ measured Doppler
variation]

The max possible Doppler variation is related the distance between the
transmission antenna and the satellite rotation axis.

All the computation details appear in a paper written by G3RUH about AO-13
squint angle measurements. This  a???.txt document is stored somewhere on
the AMSAT WEB site  (sorry, no WEB access here at the present time).

Cheers

Jean-Louis F6AGR