Re: UV degradable plastics

In the Navy Transit satellite program, biphenyl was used to deploy a
helical dampener that was imbedded in the biphenyl.  The biphenyl would
gradually sublime in space.

John  WA4WDL

>There is a book called the Handbook of Polymer Degradation, which is
>described in Amazon.com.  I haven't seen it, but it seems to cover this
>subject.
>
>Good luck,
>
>Bob KD1VV
>

>Bob Bruninga wrote:
>>
>> I have called two major PLASTICS supply companies asking for their highest
>> UV degradable plastic and get nothing but "Duh....."
>>
>> I thought with all the interest in biodegradable plastics to help clean up
>> the litter in the oceans, (6 pack rings, milk jugs, etc) that there was a
>> whole industry specializing in UV degradable products.  All I get is "no".
>>
>> We want it as a fail safe for our satellite antenna release mechanism.
>> Opinions are nice, but we need demonstrable data..
>> Anyone have any ideas? (besides walking along the beach and noticing what
>> is in the worst shape...)
>>
>> de WB4APR@amsat.org, Bob
>>
>> See my APRS LIVE pages    http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs.html
>> See APRS SATELLITES       http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/astars.html
>> See MIM/Mic-E/Mic-Lite    http://www.toad.net/~wclement/mim2.htm
>>
>> ----
>----

John M. Franke
Senior Technologist
M/S 200
Bldg. 1229, Rm 152
NASA Langley Research Center
Technology Commercialization Program Office
Hampton, VA 23681-2199

N37 05.270   W076 22.832

Voice:	757 864 4623
Fax:	757 864 8314