Re: electronic stud finder to detect roof joists?

Hi Wayne,
    Yes, that is a bit different to they way houses are built in Australia.
My house, for instance has a zinc-aluminium coated, profiled steel sheets as
the outer clading which is screwed to wooden battons which are attached
horizontally across wooden joists. These joists extend from the ridge of the
roof to beyond the outer walls of the house (about 18 inches) to form the
eves. There are boards on top of the joists where they are over the eves to
prevent birds and bugs etc. entering the ceiling space. The roof cladding
ends above the gutters which are mounted on the ends of the joists. You can
easily see where the ends of the joists are and so locating them is easy for
me. I have eye bolts anchored in some of the joists in the house roof which
the guys for my 100 foot tower attach to. They are sealed using a silicon
rubber sealant where the eyebolts pass through the cladding.
    The most popular roof clading in Sydney is terra cotta (ceramic) tiles.
The second most popular cladding is the many varieties of metal cladding and
the other significant roof clading material is slate. Probably has something
to do with climate and durability. Sydney's lowest temperature on record
(last 160 year or so) is 33 farinheight (1 Celcius) and highest is 117F. The
only ice we see is from hail storms. Maximum wind speed is 47m/s ( 105 MPH).

Regards,
Murray Peterson
VK2KGM

> Wayne replies:
>
> I may do something like you described, but I can't see the nails going
into the joists when the first shingles are applied because the nails are
obscured by the felt layer.  I have thought about marking the joist
locations on fascia boards before the felt is applied.  The fascia markings
would be visible after the new shingles are applied.  To do this, I would
have to be there when the roofing company rips off the old felt.

> By the way, the roofing shingles in the U.S. are typically asphalt
composition, not plywood.  From bottom to top, the typical roof layers are
joist, plywood, felt, and then shingles.  Most houses in the U.S. use
asphalt composition shingles.  Some upscale houses have wooden shingles
which are somewhat of a fire hazard even when treated with fire-retardant
chemicals.  Tile roofs are rare in my part of the country, but common in
regions that get much less frozen precipitation.