Re: electronic stud finder to detect roof joists?

As Maggie mentioned, they don't work too well with plaster walls.  I
have had fairly good results with drywall.  I doubt that you would get
a very good reading with shingles, since there are possibly small air
gaps between the shingles and the sheathing.  Perhaps you could make
some measurements while the sheathing was stripped of shingles (or even
note the location of the nails fastening the sheathing to the joists.
The roofers might be willing to do this for you.

Bob, N7XY

--
Bob Nielsen, N7XY                          nielsen@oz.net
Bainbridge Island, WA                      http://www.oz.net/~nielsen