Re: electronic stud finder to detect roof joists?

Give the roofers a can of spray paint, and have them mark off the location
of the rafters that will support your tripod.  That is if you can get them
to do that for you!  Alternatively, have them frame in
a couple of 2x4 or 2x6 down equidistant on both sides (1/2 the foot base
size) from the eaves.  If you do that you'd only need to have
a rough idea where to mount the tripod-- if its in the vacinity and
it's even, you got it.  Having the "horizontal" wood planks also will help
keep damage to the roof from happening under load of heavy wind.

Also, in a typical modern vaulted or cathedral celing, the "vault"
is a narrower pitch than the outside roof, allowing a "crawl space" of sorts
for insulation.  Are you sure that this isn't the case with your roof?  It's
sure easier (and stronger) to put framing underneath the
roof, use galvanized carriage bolts and RTV to seal the holes in the
plywood.  That's how my tripod is attached, no problems even in 80+ MPH
winds so far.

The last option is to pay the roofer to mount the tripods.  If the roofer
goofs, they can reshingle the goof fairly easily...

Fred Spinner, W0FMS