RE: TAPR EVM radio intfc

Hi Mike,

I have been using the 56002EVM with the TAPR buildout kit for almost a year,
and am quite happy with it. No other box combines all of the available
modems quite like the 56002. (including the 38k4 modem for UO-36, etc) It is
the Swiss Army Knife of modems.

The TAPR buildout kit is excellent; you will enjoy putting it together. The
components used are outstanding quality. About the only gotchas that I know
of are:

  - The impedance match circuitry on the TAPR buildout kit works with no
radio I've heard of. It ships with the RX levels only 5K above ground, which
will pull down every FM discriminator circuit I've attached it to. Same for
the TX match level; it is WAY too low. Best recommendation is to completely
eliminate the matching resistors, and let the output and input to the EVM
float.

  - The documentation for the TAPR kit is dated and scattered over several
locations. Be sure and subscribe to the TAPR DSP SIG. Lots of great guys on
there, and have always been a lot of help.

  - The 56002 DSP ASIC is no longer in production. There is no direct
replacement for it, so the 56002 code will have to be modified for this line
to continue. Same for the TAPR buildout kit; only works with the 56002, not
the 563xx, its replacement.

All things considered, having a DSP-based modem with open source and an open
design was a terrific advancement. While there is a sound card that uses the
56002, its codecs were nowhere near as good as the EVM kit ones.

Regards,
Steve Diggs, W4EPI