AMSAT-NA President's Letter

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-021.03
PRESIDENTS LETTER

AMSAT NEWS SERVICE BULLETIN 021.03 FROM AMSAT HQ
SILVER SPRING, MD, JANUARY 21, 2001
TO ALL RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-021.03

Several times each year AMSAT News Service will feature information
from AMSAT-NA President Robin Haighton, VE3FRH. This feature is
known as the 'President's Letter'. The following is the latest installment:

In the days of AO-13, I operated S-band with a good downconverter (with
2-meter IF). I had some outstanding results, the signal quality was Q-5 and
the signal strength was usually S-7 from a satellite putting out less than
1-watt into a unity gain antenna (and at great distance). There was no
detectable background noise and the copy was usually 100%.

Unfortunately, my downconverter suffered the ravages of weather and I
purchased another one in early December 2000. Living in Canada, we
have certain weather conditions which are not always cooperative with
putting up antennas and associated equipment. However, this last week
enough snow had melted to enable me to gain access my roof and to
install my new equipment.

The installation went well (I had prepared the cables and connectors
ahead of time) and it only took a short time to put everything in place.
Unfortunately, once I had everything working I found I had missed the
AO-40 pass for that day.

Last Wednesday morning I went to the ham shack and turned on the
converter, tuned the rig to the appropriate frequency and with the aid of
WISP found the satellite on my first try. Ah yes - the joy of receiving
AO-40 (again) and watching the telemetry come through on my computer
screen was a real pleasure. This time the signal strength was S-9 and the
quality was excellent - in spite of a poor offset angle between my antenna
and the satellite.

I note that the signal will cut off when antennas can no longer see each
other, but reasonable copy can be expected between MA-3 and MA-12
(according VP9MU). My next opportunity to be connected to AO-40 is
January 22nd, early in the morning from this QTH. You can be sure that
I will be there, collecting data for the archives and sending it to the
AO-40
archive data base (vp9mu@amsat.org).

If you are not currently listening to the S-band transmissions from AO-40,
I invite you to put some equipment together and join me!

73
Robin, VE3FRH

[ANS thanks AMSAT-NA President Robin Haighton, VE3FRH, for this
information]