Re: Drake 2880 Downconverter Purchase - Update

Woody wrote:

> Hi Mark:
>
> When it come to crystals, you get what you pay for.  JAN crystals are trash.
> They are no where near the quality of International Crystals.  In more than
> 32 years of repairing electronics equipment, I have never had to replace a
> crystal from International.

I used to be able to say that too Woody ( I used to swear by them ) ,
unfortunately as of late even Internationals imaged has some tarnish on it , I
for one , will no longer buy from International ( though I did buy the drake
conv. xtal from them a year ago ) as their quality control has gone down the
tube , though they are still better than Jan , I had a half dozen channel
elements sent to them for recompensation over a years period and they all ended
up going back to them for bad xtals or instability , also we buy a number of
xtals for pagers ( hundreds ) and gave up on Intnl. because of the high failure
rate we were getting relative to price ....

For the last 4 years we have been buying from West Crystal up in Kelowna BC and
have had  excellent luck with them , in fact I have not had to replace one bad
pager xtal from them and all the channel elements I have sent them are still
chugging along .....

So not to shoot you down Woody , just to put some perspective on it , some of my
other buddies are feeling the same about Intnl. but really you folks should use
what works best for you , I for one am going to stick with West Crystal , really
nice folks , you can even talk to their tech's and give em input on what circuit
the xtal will be operating in to help out..

just my two pennies

tink ,  tink  .........

--
Douglas Cole   N7BFS