Re: Mir Why accident prone ?

 > Russia Cargo Craft Ready for Final Mir Mission
 > MOSCOW (Reuters) - A Progress cargo vessel will blast off for the doomed Mir
 > space station (news - web sites) next week to nudge the Soviet-era craft out
 > of orbit and into a crash-landing in the Pacific Ocean, Russian space
 > officials said on Friday.
 > ``The date of the cargo vessel's launch has been set for January 24,'' a
 > spokesman for Russian flight control told Reuters.
 > The launch, delayed by almost a week, is part of final preparations to end
 > Mir's 15-year odyssey around Earth.
 > The craft will blast off from the Baikonur cosmodrome in Kazakhstan almost a
 > week later than planned, after problems with the accident-prone space
 > station's navigation system forced the operation to be postponed on
 > Thursday.

Why is it that the media almost always refer to Mir as accident-prone ?  It has
been in space for 15 years now and has been manned most of that time. In the 15
years they have had a few problems however I haven't heard of any loss of life
or physical accidents to any crew. I wonder how many of us could drive a car 24
hours a day for 15 years and not have an accident. I think Russia deserves full
credit for the reliability of Mir.  It would be nice if the media could give
credit where it is deserved at times.
                     73 de Tony....VK5ZAI.
  J.A.(Tony) Hutchison.
  QTH. PARINGA. South Australia