RE: Quad Pod Mount

Dave,

I used a Glenn Martin quad pod for my satellite antenna system.  I purchased
a 4.5' RT-424 ($164) and a TB-25 ($90) thrust bearing from them.  I'm using
it to support m^2 2m & 70cm satellite antennas and an R. Myers 2.4GHz dish
along with a 20' 2-inch OD mast.  I mounted the quad pod to a home made
tilt-over base which is secured into the ground with four concrete pads. It
is very sturdy and has withstood 70MPH winds with no problems.

This was also intended to be a "temporary" installation so when I dug the
holes with a posthole digger, I went a little bit deeper than I had to.
This is so I could leave several inches of dirt above the pads when I poured
my concrete into the holes.  My thinking being that all I had to do was
unbolt the mounting from the J-bolts, cut off the excess J-bolts flush with
the concrete pad, and cover it with dirt.  Nobody would be the wiser and
there's no concrete to remove.

As far as antenna tinkering, I unbolt a few bolts and tilt it over by hand
and set it on a saw horse.  I never have to leave the ground!

I looked at other tripods and quad pods and from what I remember, the GM was
the most bang for the buck.  It is excellent quality and went together in
about 30 mins. (No affiliation with Glenn Martin, just a satisfied
customer).

Here is their website: http://www.glenmartin.com/catalog/page14.html
Here are some other sites that may be of interest:
http://www.antennasystems.com/ (tripods/supports)
http://www.harbach.com/ (Stainless steel saddle clamps, other antenna
hardware)
http://www.rohnnet.com/index.htm (Rohn towers and accessories)

If you want any further details let me know.

Good luck,
Tim - K3TZ