AO-40 Mode S Reception MA 249-253

Hi All,

Today as the bird was setting I had a go at hearing the bird before perigee,
... it was on the spur of the moment, ... but I found that I found it
straight away at MA 249 and pretty strong, ... I quickly turned on the
telemetry capture program P3T just in case. The Doppler was very very fast,
... too fast for the G3RUH demodulator to keep up, I had to keep turning the
radio dial very quickly to keep the demod centered. Anyway I lost the signal
as predicted by my week old NORAD keps, .... I caught about 13 blocks of
telem between MA 249 and MA 253 (LOS) (none CRCC OK but readable!), ... to
my ear they sounded as good as those I hear from MA 3 onwards, .... what
killed any CRCC OK capture was the Doppler, .... anyway for those waiting to
test your new S band converters start looking at MA 245 now, don't wait for
MA 2 onwards passes. .... lets see who can be first to capture a CRCC OK
block BEFORE perigee, ... it is now possible!!!!!! Given that the bird moves
almost 180 degrees around the planet between 253 and 3, ... this gives all
of us more chances to hear the bird, test our equipment, and more important
capture telemetry!

Please post your reception attempt results to the BB to let us know! ....
who will be first!

BTW the spacecraft MA indicator is reset regularly, the MA's I quote above
are from the tracking program not the spacecraft!

Cheers
Paul, VP9MU