Re: 2.4 gHzCordless Phones

At 9:26 PM -0600 1/19/01, laura halliday wrote:
>All the microwave ovens I've heard on 2.4 GHz produce
>a 60 Hz "rum-rum-rum" sound.
>
>The design are actually pretty slick: at DC, a cavity
>magnetron is a diode. So the tube generates the DC pulses
>it needs, all by itself...

Depending on the voltage .. the magnetron's frequency goes up in
steps with the voltage, so if the transformer voltage is too high
(out of spec power supply voltage, and so on) the magnetron will kick
up to its second harmonic sometimes -- IIRC, the voltage drop across
the magnetron will jump proportionally.  Old radar equipment used to
have fits when the magnetrons did that, and it used to be classic
microwave troubleshooting to look at the magnetron voltage during a
pulse and check for the characteristic higher voltage spikes of mode
jumping .. and I think a 2.45 GHz waveguide will pass the second
harmonic, maybe not too efficiently but it would pass it ..

--
<BGB>