Re: Fw: Rotator/Elevator controled using LAN?

Gentlemen:

I think, before you start running your LAN up the tower to control your
rotators, you should consider mother nature.

I'm building a stand-alone az-el controller using a basic stamp
microcontroller. While discussing this with Don, W4VQA this morning, he
pointed out that rotor cables are a wonderful conduit for lightning
surges, and that the solid state relays I'm using would be more prone to
failure in thunderstorms than contact relays would -- though those too
are susceptible. So if I get hit, hopefully the only thing to roast will
be my controller, and perhaps the serial port on my computer that runs
the tracking software.

Considering all the equipment I have on my LAN, I surely don't need
lightning to take out all my computers and radios with one close
strike....what's Greek for "let the builder beware?"

IMHO, I think this whole idea is a bit over the top. Nevertheless, some
of the ideas shared were very interesting and may well serve other
ventures.

Art, N3OY

--
 ---------