Re: Drake 2880 Downconverter

At this time Mark has posted the intension of supplying the Drake 2880
before me, so I will withdraw from doing this, as I think only one person
need do this.

Below is my reply to Mark.

Ed

>Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 22:23:00 -0900
>To: "Mark D. Fossum" <n0nsv@AMSAT.Org>
>From: "Edward R. Cole" <al7eb@ptialaska.net>
>Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Drake 2880 Downconverter
>
>Mark,
>
>I saw your posting after sending my announcement to the bb.  There
probably is no advantage in competing with each other, so since you have
initiated this already, I will step back and let you proceed.

>Ed
>
>At 09:22 PM 1/18/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>>Howdy folks,
>>
>>I just got off the phone with Millicom and asked about importing the
>>Drake 2880 downconverters to the US. They told me that quantity was not
>>a problem and I am willing to step up to the plate and make arrangements
>>to import the unmodified units in a quantity.
>>
>>I expect to work out the details in the next day or two. Once I have
>>made arrangements for shipping, I will leave a note on the BB.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Mark Fossum - N0NSV
>>----

My previous message:
To those wanting to buy a Drake 2880 [unmodified], I am going to
investigate making a volume buy from Millicom [If I can finance getting 100
units]. I have saved the e-mail posted on the amsat-bb to date indicating
interest. I would like to secure about 20 orders to go ahead.

BUT, I will need to first find out the volume price, shiping cost, and
import duty. My intension is to sell units at 10-15% over my cost plus
shipping. I am set up for PayPal so it should be convenient to order
[CANNOT take credit cards directly]. I would also accept money orders and
checks [in USD]. I don't know how quick I'll be able to set this up. I will
initiate a Fax inquiry to Millicom tomorrow. Give me at least a week to
find out the details.

Shipping to the US would likely be minimum priority mail rate. Shipping to
other countries will take more investigation. I operate a part-time small
custom electronics design & fabrication business out of my home [and have a
day job], so this would not be a "group buy" but instead I would front the
cost of a volume buy.

If it proves too difficult for me to accomplish, I will post a message back
here so that you may explore another approach.
Ed
Sixty North Electronics
Nikiski, Alaska