Amsat Archive Search Procedure (was more filter numbers)

For those of you who want to search the archive for something, here is
the "simple" procedure:

1. Go to http://www.amsat.org and click on "Latest News".
2. Click on "Subscribe to bulletins by e-mail".
3. Click on "Mailing list archives".
4. Click on "FTP mailing list archives".
Or skip the above since you know your way around now and:
5. Go to ftp://ftp.amsat.org/amsat/archive/amsat-bb-digest/  Be
patient, it takes a long time to come up sometimes.
6. Since there is no search facility, download the little 5.4 Megabyte
file that contains the 2000 archives.
7. Extract all the files to a temporary directory.
8. Either search each file one by one since they have different names
or shell out to MS-DOS.  (I am sure the linux experts will give us the
script to do the equivalent of this on a linux box.)
9. Once in MS-DOS change to the temporary directory.
10. Now issue the very easy to understand command: copy *.n* 2000.txt
/a
11. Exit the shell back to Win.
12. Open the file 2000.txt in Wordpad or some equivalent with a search
function.
13. Use the Edit | Find function to locate the information you desire.
14. Oh, don't forget to clean the 11 MB or so off your disk when done.

That's all there is to it.  You can find what you need in under an
hour and don't have to hear any complaints from people who don't want
the URL retyped.

If you want to look at the ones that have not yet been zipped:

1. highlight them in your browser
2. Right click to bring up Copy to Folder
3. Specify your temporary folder
4. Pick up at step 7 above.

Alternatively, you could leave all 2000 messages a month on your
machine and just use your e-mail client to search with.

Now everybody can be in the know.

Ron, AG5RS