Re: AO-10 observations

Miles,
This behavior you described started this past weekend.  During the entire month of December and into the new year the bird has been excellent, with great openings and strong signals from N.A. west to JA, ZL, VK, and V73, and following with perigee openings to Europe, Azores, and Russia (Africa not heard at this location in a while).  My setup is quite modest compared to yours, with antennas only 800 mm long and 20 W on UHF (FT-100 in split mode), but contacts were still plentiful.

Then last weekend I noticed the QSB was so bad I could not detect the beacon at times, even at near-perigee (under 15,000 km).  You would get about 1 minute of QSO time, then a quick shift in frequency (down about 1.5 kHz), then absolute silence for about 3 minutes.  This cycle seemed consistant Saturday through Monday.  K6YK suggested to me it was "tumbling" at a bad angle for the solar panels, which sounds reasonable since the frequency shift is exactly what you hear a few seconds before it goes into eclipse.  Let's hope it starts tumbling back the way it was last month.
73,
Jerry, K5OE