Re: Right-sizing a sat

guy lemke <guy@com-pair.net> wrote:

>Why not make the sats less expensive and less complex
>and use the money we save on the cost of the launch

Because the difference in cost between AO-40 and AO-13
is still only a modest down-payment on a full-price
launch. I note also that AO-40 is complicated because
it has lots of radios inside it. It is *not* complicated
because it uses higher frequencies than previous
amateur satellites.

Even a Pegasus XL launch costs more than it cost to
build AO-40.