Re: Fw: Rotator/Elevator controled using LAN?

e.g., http://www.ibutton.com/TINI/  ($50.00 for the board itself)

> What would you gain be having 10/100 Mbits/sec bandwidth to the rotor
> controller?

You gain by running IP to your rotor.  This would allow you (or potentially
anyone) to control your rotor from anywhere in the world (e.g., if
you connect it to the Internet via your local network).

Now, if satellites rigs just had IP interfaces, rather than silly local,
proprietary interfaces.  Or, maybe rigs should have Web interfaces,
so that you can control them with a simple browser anywhere in the
[connected] world.

(I will save the idea of using IP and Cat-5 UTP to transport data between
your mast-mounted preamp/downconverter/Internet node for another message.)

If relatively dumb devices like washing machines can connect to the
Internet, why can't presumably sophisticated devices like satellite
rigs?  See http://www.margherita2000.com/sito_uk/it/home.htm

> 	[...]
> My suggestion: Get some old computers load up Linux and connect them with the
> 10BASE2 cards.  They will become useful again.

10Base2 (ThinNet) is evil -- it tends to be unreliable and makes it
difficult to isolate problems.  I strongly recommend 10Base-T (Cat-5
UTP).

At work I used to throw away any 10Base2 stuff I found.  I didn't want
anyone to use it, because of the number and types of problems it causes.

-tjs